Higher Learning Commission (HLC) Self-Study
Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA) of Colleges and Schools. Southern was first accredited in 1971 and has had continuous accreditation since that time. In pursuit of continued accreditation by The Higher Learning Commission, Southern is preparing an extensive self-study document to present to them in 2013.
Southern participates in the Higher Learning Commissions's Program to Evaluate and Advance Quality (PEAQ) evaluation process. The PEAQ program consists of an institutional self-study, a comprehensive evaluation every 10 years by a team of trained peer reviewers, and a final decision-making by the Commission. Southern's last comprehensive evaluation was conducted in April 2003 with the next evaluation scheduled for April 22-24, 2013.
Southern's Mission Statement
It is the mission of Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College to provide accessible, affordable, quality education and training while promoting lifelong learning for those we serve.
As a comprehensive community and technical college, Southern is committed to providing:
- Developmental and pre-college level education for those who lack the necessary academic background for direct entry into college-level courses.
- Programs of study leading to the associate in arts and the associate in science degrees which can be effectively transferred and applied toward the baccalaureate degree.
- Programs of study in career and technical fields leading to a skill-set certification, certificate degree and/or the associate in applied science degree for entry into the workforce.
- Workforce development, continuing education and training programs that support the needs of employees and employers and serve as a mechanism for economic development.
- Support services that assist students in achieving their education and training goals.
- Community interest programs and activities that promote personal growth and cultural enrichment.
Southern's Vision Statement
Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College will be the higher education leader in West Virginia and the region. Southern will provide the leadership necessary to help West Virginia grow and prosper into the twenty-first century. Southern will be the hub around which all education and training/retraining efforts will turn. The College will act as the catalyst for economic development and change in the region. Southern will establish proactive partnerships which include education, business, industry, labor, government, community and cultural organizations, as well as other leaders to achieve regional goals. Southern will become a model of academic excellence, scholarship, creativity, innovation, and cooperation impacting the educational opportunities and economic growth of the region.
Southern's Core Values
We will accomplish our mission by:
- Achieving excellence in education and service.
- Exhibiting integrity in all that we do.
- Collaborating and communicating actively with others.
- Being committed in word and deed.
- Imparting passion and compassion to our every task.
- Leading by encouragement and support of lifelong learning.
- Embracing change through bold actions.
- Being creative and innovative at all levels.
- Initiating opportunities for the community.
- Celebrating success.
This website will provide information to the college and community about the self-study process as it progresses and culminates with the team visit by the HLC consultant-evaluators in April 2013. You are invited to visit this site regularly for self-study news and updates.